Two injured after early-morning downtown shooting

A shooting at The Frida Mexican Grill early Sunday morning resulted in two injured.

According to Madison Police Sgt. Ann Lehner, officers responded to reports of shots fired and upon further investigation, discovered that the shots were fired inside the restaurant.

The victims' non life-threatening injuries were a result of the disturbance caused by the shooting, and the victims were taken to a local hospital, according to Lehner.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said that there was a tremendous police response resulting in the 100 block of State Street closing down, restaurants closing early, and the presence of a police mobile command post, which is only used during extreme circumstances.

UW-Madison senior Lisa Anderson, who lives on the 100 block of State Street, discovered the scene after leaving her apartment for Ian's Pizza around 2 a.m. Police questioned her since the 100 block was closed to pedestrians.

In response to Anderson's safety concerns, police said it was safe at the time and to return to her apartment.

Anderson said it was "kind of unsettling" not knowing the details of the incident. She also reported seeing overturned tables and broken glass in Frida's later Sunday morning.

Verveer said that because Frida's has a pattern of violence after the restaurant changes into a nightclub, the city should respond.

"I think the city has got to act," Verveer said. "I would be shocked if the city did not take formal action."