Special committee to address moped parking issues

While UW-Madison has moped parking rules in place including a parking program requiring moped owners to purchase annual permits and park in designated areas, there are virtually no laws regarding off-campus moped parking, according to Mayor Paul Soglin.

A committee will be in charge of recommending a system to manage moped parking while considering the moped use of university students, the campus parking rules, the limited availability of bike racks, the possibility of moped parking on city ramps, space and sign requirements for moped-restricted areas and the accessibility of sidewalks for citizens with disabilities. 

Currently, mopeds and scooters can be parked at city bike racks and on city sidewalks as long as the pedestrian path is not blocked.

According to Soglin, there is insufficient bike and moped parking, competition for spaces with bikes and obstruction of sidewalks by mopeds.

Soglin cited the parking outside of the Grand Central apartment complex on Johnson Street as an example of the the moped parking issue.

The “key aspect” of this committee is “going to be asking operators and owners of vehicles as well as landowners and property owners” to serve on the committee to help solve the moped parking issue, Soglin said.