Group kicks off ASM constitution proposal

With hopes to restructure the current student government system at UW-Madison, the Students for a Constructive Associated Students of Madison hosted its kickoff meeting Monday.

The group is looking to implement a new ASM constitution that would divide ASM into an executive branch consisting of a president and vice president, a legislative branch  made up of a Senate, a judicial branch similar to the current Student Judiciary and an allocations branch that would appropriate student segregated fees. Currently, ASM consists of a student council, the Student Services Finance Committee and the Student Judiciary.

Of the approximately 20 students who gathered to learn about the new ASM constitution a group of students recently drafted, some asked how the proposed method of distributing segregated fees would impact student groups.

Committee member and current Student Services Finance Committee member Sarah Neibart said the new model would give students more avenues to access segregated fees.

Committee member and current ASM representative Tom Templeton said the meeting made him hopeful for future student participation in drafting the document.

“In no ways is this necessarily a finalized document. It is ultimately the student body that has to vote to approve it,” Templeton said. “At the end of the day making sure we have something better than what we currently have, which is essentially a broken system, is what is important.”