N.Y. protests represent public opinion

Anurag

Frida’s restaurant closes permanently after shooting

State Street's Frida Mexican Grill is permanently closed following a shooting at the restaurant on New Year's Eve.

Famous among students for their margaritas, Frida's has a history of violent acts occurring in the restaurant and was facing eviction because of rent complications at the time of the shooting.

The latest incident took place Jan. 1 when police closed down the 100 block of State Street after shots fired in the restaurant caused chaos. While no one suffered gunshot wounds, two victims were injured from a subsequent fight.

According to Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel DeSpain, Madison police have not made any arrests in the shooting.

Due to past incidences, the city imposed conditions on Frida's liquor license in 2010, which restricted the restaurant's capacity after 11 p.m., according to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4.

Verveer said owner Mohamed Barketallah also confirmed to the police Frida's was undergoing eviction proceedings by his landlord, a company controlled by philanthropist W. Jerome Frautschi.

Frautschi filed the eviction notice before the New Year's Eve shooting, but because Barketallah owed a substantial amount of rent, he agreed to a settlement requiring Frida's immediate closing instead of suing for the rent, according to Verveer.

Barketallah has two other liquor licenses for Moe's and Icon, two State Street restaurants.

"Although I'm always saddened to see an establishment go out of business, especially for the employees, I think that given the past violent history of the establishment, it's for the best," Verveer said.