Fake News Friday: Student committee forms to rename SSFC out of laziness

In a world where most students' priorities are grades and beer, one group of students is solving a problem nobody cares about with a bold solution no one on campus asked for.

Members of the Rename the Student Services Finance Committee to Something Shorter Coalition (RSSFCSSC), an independent, grassroots committee of students who are all in some way involved with the Associated Students of Madison, said they got tired of writing out the full name.

"The student outcry has grown too loud and has been ignored too long," said RSSFCSSC Chair and coincidentally also Daily Cardinal Opinion Editor Matt Beaty. "We need to make it shorter because, honestly, everyone is tired of writing the whole thing out."

The RSSFCSSC is comprised of editorial board members from both student papers, as well as several SSFC and ASM members.

Potential names changes include the simple "Committee for Financial Stuff" and the more to-the-point "In Charge of Your Money Committee."

Beaty said the best part about the "much-needed change" is that "it comes from outside the system."

"I mean, sure, the student papers always report on this and the other committee members are from ASM," Beaty said, "but we're pretty sure the student body as a whole also cares."

When pressed, Beaty and other committee members conceded they had never actually spoken with students not affiliated with ASM in some way.

Between brainstorming "way better" names, Daily Cardinal Managing Editor Nico Savidge said the paper plans to cover the news without bias. Savidge hedged when asked whether devoting the papers' full editorial arsenal to the issue and using language verging on reverential in news article counted as bias.

"I mean, not reaaaaally," Savidge said, quickly covering the front-page editorial spread he had almost finished designing.

The RSSFCSSC kicked off a series of informational sessions soliciting student input on the name-change Monday.

Although only two students attended and both were ASM members, Beaty was still encouraged.

"None of them are here offering input because they know we're doing such a good job resolving this issue on our own," he said.