Community remains concerned with revised State Street proposal

After developers submitted a second proposal for renovations to the 100 block of State Street, continue to have reservations.

The $10 million plan to reconstruct the 100 block of State Street includes plans to save historical buildings like the Castle & Doyle Building, as well as making North Fairchild Street more pedestrian-friendly with a garden space, according to George Austin, project manager.

The plans would mean the Schubert Building at 120 W. Mifflin St. and an adjacent building at 122-124 W. Mifflin St. would be relocated or deconstructed.

Austin said the goal of this project is “retaining and enhancing what we have on State Street today.”

Critics say using a rehabilitation approach instead of reconstructing the buildings preserves the historical aspect of State Street.

“The demolition and new construction, no matter how good, will erode the special character of the historic district,” Jason Tish, executive director of the Madison Trust for Historic Preservation said.

While Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, felt positive about this proposal, he said he hopes there will be further compromises.

“I have a high comfort level about the State Street treatment as opposed to the removal of the two buildings on the West Mifflin Street, which I’m still not enthusiastic about,” Verveer said.

According to Austin, the second proposal ensures Madison retains its authentic characteristics.

“This city needs to adapt and take advantage of the reinvestment opportunity to ensure that a prosperous and dynamic community will be for the generations of the future,” Austin said.