City officials discuss future of city council and methods of improvement

City officials met Saturday to discuss the direction the city is headed and methods to improve both communication and daily business within the city council.

According to Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, the structured format of council meetings does not allow for debate to flow freely.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the discussion will help council members be more productive and efficient in the future.

Council members discussed council leadership and the responsibilities of council members, but the "heart of the matter" was discussing how city leaders are appointed to committees, according to Resnick.

Council members debated whether the mayor or council members should have the power to appoint members to city committees.

"It's sort of inevitable that the committee appointment process is always going to be political," Resnick said.

While at the end of the day city council did not have a full resolution, Resnick viewed the discussion as a success.

"As a first term alder, hearing and thinking through the whole process of what does it mean to be an alder was a great exercise," Resnick said. "At the very least I think it was great that we were...able to hash out some of those ideas."