Budget cuts force UW-Madison to cut physical education courses

In the latest change resulting from statewide budget cuts to the UW System, UW-Madison's School of Education will soon stop offering several of its one-credit physical education courses, according to the Capital Times.

The school is also terminating its masters program for those training to become school counselors, in addition to laying off 12 part-time academic staffers involved in the Department of Kinesiology's physical education courses.

The department, like the rest of campus, is scrambling to find ways to save money following initial cuts of $250 million from higher education in the state's biennial budget and an additional $65.7 million in cuts late last year.

29 one-credit physical education courses will be eliminated by the end of 2012 due to funding shortages.

While the Capital Times reported that cuts will trim the kinesiology department's budget by about 7 percent, the department will still have to eliminate another 1.5 percent of its budget to stomach the additional cuts from the lapse.

The masters program that trains students to be school counselors was eliminated after Professor Kimberly Howard, who ran the program, was offered $25,000 more to teach at Boston University.