SSFC

SSFC member Joe Vanden Avond reads over ASM’s proposed internal budget while ASM Chair Allie Gardner fields questions about the budget.

ASM chair presents internal budget request to SSFC

The Student Services Finance Committee discussed the Associated Students of Madison proposed budget on Monday, including a $100,000 request for alumni training.

The proposed $100,000 increase would allow student organizations to receive training from ASM alumni.

“The request would allow UW alumni to pass on skill sets to current students,” ASM Chair Allie Gardner said.  “Alumni in past years are going to have a lot more historical information and work experience on career and skills advancement.”

Other members of SSFC believe the request is too high.

“The other side of the debate is that $100,000 is a lot to ask for,” SSFC Chair Sarah Neibart said.  “Every year ASM gets new bylaws, so some are concerned about what real benefit the alumni would be providing ASM.”

The proposal also included a funding request for membership to a federal lobby group.  The United States Student Association (USSA) is a federal representative for university students and their needs, lobbying on behalf of universities for research dollars and grant money.

“School tuition has increased quite a bit, but funding has decreased,” Gardner said.  “USSA membership would allow for Madison’s needs to be recognized.”

Some members of SSFC feel membership in USSA is not necessary and its proposed funding could be better spent elsewhere. 

“Some may see this as double-dipping because ASM is already a member of United Council,” Neibart said of the proposed move.  “ASM is arguably the most influential student government in the country, so a lot of times it doesn’t need that representation.”

SSFC will vote on the ASM budget Thursday.