Thomas

Ashley Thomas has taken on a more vocal leadership role with the Badgers this season, a role she says she embraces.

Women's Basketball: Wisconsin aims to keep modest winning streak alive

The Wisconsin women’s basketball team (4-5 overall) won consecutive games for the first time Monday night against St. Louis and look to extend that winning streak Thursday against Kansas (7-1) as part of the Big Ten/Big 12 Challenge.

The Badgers look to continue their stellar play that was on display in the second half against the Billikens Monday night. After shooting just 25 percent in the first half of that game, Wisconsin came out a different team after the break, hitting 59.1 percent of its field goals and committing only six turnovers.

The type of play seen in the second half against St. Louis will be required if the Badgers hope to have a chance to keep up with the high-octane offense Kansas has shown so far this season. Through eight games, the Jayhawks average 77.1 points per game and have four players averaging double figures in scoring.

“We have to try not to give the ball right back,” Wisconsin head coach Bobbie Kelsey said of slowing down the Jayhawks. “If you turn it over you’re just fueling the fast break. So the guards have to take care of the ball and not make silly passes.”

Against Kansas, the Badgers will be looking to avenge last year’s loss to the Jayhawks, when Kansas won a 93-86 thriller in overtime.

Kansas, which is coming off of its first loss of the season on Sunday against Alabama, is led by forward Carolyn Davis. The 6 foot 3 junior is averaging 16.9 points per game and shoots an astonishing 68.1 percent from the field, good for third in the nation and could give Wisconsin senior forwards Ashley Thomas and Anya Covington problems down low.

“If [Kansas] gives it to the post and they’re one-on-one, we’re not going to win that game,” Kelsey said.

The Jayhawks have also outrebounded seven of its eight opponents so far this season, something that wouldn’t seem to be a huge concern for the Badgers if they would’ve met earlier in the season. The Badgers have struggled rebounding in recent games, being outrebounded in the last three games by a total of 117-87.

Thomas will try to build on her breakout performance on Monday as well. She posted career highs in points (14) as well as rebounds (seven) and credits patience as the key factor in her recent play.

“One main thing that I’ve been working on is just slowing down when I catch it on the block,” she said. “I felt like my advantage was my speed in the post, but I just have to take a breath.”

Kelsey also praised Thomas for her vocal leadership that has been prominent this season, a role that has been relatively easy for Thomas to embrace.

“On the court it’s easy for me to just communicate,” Thomas said. “I just feel like somebody has to, and I guess it’s just easy for me to talk to my teammates. Sometimes it’s more of like a comfort thing for me.”

The Badgers have also drastically improved as far as limiting turnovers. They committed a Kohl Center record 31 turnovers against Oral Roberts on Nov. 13, but have averaged only 16.2 turnovers over the last five games.

“It definitely just starts in practice and making game-like situations in practice and understanding that we have to value the ball on every possession,” junior guard Taylor Wurtz said of the improvement.