UW-Madison could have office in Shanghaias early as June

UW-Madison could have an office in Shanghai by June, according to university officials who recently visited China to explore the possibility of bolstering ties between the university and the Asian country.

Gilles Bousquet, dean of the division of international studies and vice provost for globalization, said the office would be an important "physical presence in one of the world's most emerging countries," adding it would help UW-Madison increase relations with Chinese institutions and Wisconsin-based companies doing business in China.

More study abroad and internship opportunities in the country were another perk.

"With a full-time contact in China, UW-Madison will be able to identify and pursue more mutually beneficial opportunities with Chinese partners, as well as working with Wisconsin businesses to advance the state's economic interests in China," Bousquet said.

While Bousquet said officials are still working out the details of how the office would function, they envision it will have minimal staffing with an on-site director, assistant and student interns. This "lean operation" would pay for itself, he said.

While the university is hoping to meet this timeline, Bousquet said it depends on continued support from UW-Madison and getting the necessary permits in China.

"We recognize that we must navigate a complex process ahead of us, which will require due diligence all along the way," Bousquet said in an e-mail. "We cannot take any steps for granted. If we pay close attention to details, I am optimistic that we will succeed."

Despite officials' excitement about the office, an article in the Wisconsin State Journal said some members of Students for a Free Tibet oppose increased relations with China, saying it compromises the university's principles.

Bousquet said he hopes the office will showcase a democratic way of doing business.

"Over time, we hope that China will recognize that it is in the country's interests to address these issues," he said.