books

Time to prepare for post-grad life!

Stew and Friends production far from problematic

One of the benefits of attending a university the size of UW-Madison is the richness and diversity of culture available to students. Orchestra concerts, live bands, plays, musicals, art museums-the list is innumerable. Perhaps the best exemplification of this spirit and commitment to culture is the Interdisciplinary Arts Residency Program.

Sponsored by multiple departments, the Residency program invites artists to spend the semester at UW-Madison teaching, involving themselves in the community and hosting public events. It is a boon to students interested in the arts, as it provides a close look into the inner workings of an artist.

This semester's program hosted none other than Stew, an Obie and Tony winning musician, songwriter and playwright. Before coming to UW-Madison, Stew earned a hearty prestige for himself. Two of his albums (2000's Guest Host and 2002's The Naked Dutch Painter... And Other Songs) were both named Album of the Year by Entertainment Weekly. His rock opera Passing Strange was nominated for four Tonies, winning for "Best Book of a Musical," and filmed by Spike Lee for the Sundance Film Festival in January 2009. He also wrote and performed the song "Gary Come Home" for the television cartoon "Spongebob Squarepants."

This past fall, besides teaching, Stew has been hosting "Stew and Friends," a program centered on acts picked by Stew himself. The program was the perfect encapsulation of his artistic interests: the program seemed centered around showcasing artists of every make and mold. Among the diverse roster of acts in "Stew and Friends" this semester included a screening of Passing Strange, UW-Madison faculty and legendary jazz bassist Richard Davis, transgender cabaret/performance artist Justin Vivian Bond, funk musician Toshi Reagon and director Colman Domingo, among others.

Stew's status as Artist in Residence, however, is winding down with the end of the semester as well as the last show for "Stew and Friends:" Stew's collaboration with Heidi Rodewald, entitled "The Negro Problem."

Rodewald, a musician and arranger for Passing Strange and other musicals, has performed with Stew in "The Negro Problem" since the mid-90's. Much like "Stew and Friends," "The Negro Problem" presents Stew's aims as an artist-to foster connections between genres and bridge the gap between cultures. "The Negro Problem"'s sound is primarily rooted in ‘60s soul and psychadelia, with flourishes from any conceivable genre, creating an mélange of sound that is unlike anything you are used to hearing.

There is a bit of an intellectual bend to "The Negro Problem," primarily in the choice of name. The name "The Negro Problem" references an important race relations book, "An American Dilemma: The Negro Problem and Modern Democracy" by Gunnar Myrdal, a book which was cited in Brown v. The Board of Education, and is considered an influence on the 1950s and 1960s civil rights movement.

Besides evoking a tumultuous time in our country's history, "The Negro Problem"'s name reminds us of the pressing problems of race in this country-a problem dealt with not by division but through cooperation. Stew's music with Heidi Rodewald as a part of "The Negro Problem" demonstrates in part the possibilities offered by coming together in the name of collaboration; their music is rich, passionately played and a joy for listeners.

"The Negro Problem" will be playing at Mitchell Theatre in Vilas Hall on Monday, December 5th at 7 pm. Attendance is free, and will conclude the "Stew and Friends" series. Undoubtedly, it will be a fitting conclusion to a program designed to bring people together, and a fitting reminder of the cultural resources available to students at UW-Madison.