Madison Ballet brings the Christmas spirit with ‘The Nutcracker’

When it comes to the holiday season, prevalent visions of sugar plum fairies dance about in the peaceful slumbers of young, stressed college students, but now the UW-Madison community has a chance to see these legends of Christmas lore come to life in Madison Ballet's "The Nutcracker" at the Overture Center for the Arts.

Running from December 17-26, this two-hour performance promises to enchant attendees of all ages. As the Overture Center's website states, "The crown jewel of Madison's holiday season is also the world's favorite ballet!"

Set to Tchaikovsky's well-known score, this performance serves as the perfect way to bring back that innocent holiday spirit some haven't known since they were young and begging to wait up for Santa Claus.

As the website describes it, "A combination of fabulous costumes, dynamic lighting and lavish set design are the perfect vehicle for the energetic choreography of Artistic Director W. Earle Smith."

Performances of "The Nutcracker" have taken place since 1892 and are based off of the story "The Nutcracker and the Mouse King" by E.T.A. Hoffmann. The plot is a perfect bedtime tale for a child-or a child at heart-with a strong imagination.

The godfather of young Clara and her brother Fritz gives them toys on Christmas Eve, one of them being a nutcracker to aid them in opening hazelnuts. Clara instantly falls in love with the beautiful object, only to have it broken by her brother. She tucks the injured nutcracker into her doll bed for safekeeping and ventures back to check on it late that night.

However, when the clock strikes midnight, everything changes: the Christmas tree soars to a magnificent height, toys come to life, a battle between an army of gingerbread soldiers and the Mouse King and his minions ensues and the magic begins.

Clara is then swept into a whirlwind adventure of sugar plum fairies and dancing candy canes, and the audience is invited to come along for the ride.

Tickets range in price from $14-$59 and those planning to attend can purchase them on the Overture Center's website or in person at the box office during regular hours.

For students looking to take a break from the rigors of finals or even to merely spread more holiday cheer, Madison Ballet's performance of "The Nutcracker" is a perfect opportunity to get in the giving spirit and rekindle a sense of childish glee, just in time for winter break.