Holiday gifting, CollegeFashionista style

As lovers of fashion and all things fabulous, we at CollegeFashionista are always on the hunt for a deal. After all, just because we have a voracious appetite for the latest trends in fashion and feel the need to update our personal styles regularly doesn't mean we are exempt from the "poor college student" budget. It's all a matter of getting creative and making our money stretch. Now that the holiday season is upon us, this is especially true! The economy is not as spectacular as anyone would like it to be, but that doesn't mean that the gift giving must come to a halt.

According to John Talbott, a Professor in the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University who specializes in marketing, the general economy is actually "off to a strong start" for the holiday season. While this is true on a grand scale, college students are definitely still feeling the strain. I surveyed a group of College Fashionistas and Fashionistos to determine specific thoughts they are having regarding spending in our current season. The majority of the surveyed group said they are spending less money this year than they have in the past for the holidays. Caroline Radaj, a fellow UW-Madison Style Guru for CollegeFashionista, said, "As a college student, especially one graduating in May, money and my future financial position is definitely something that is even more in the back of my head, so I find it more and more noticeable that I am watching my money." With loans piling up and expenses far from disappearing, I think I can safety say that many of us feel similarly.

Instead of giving up on gifts altogether, people are getting creative and thoughtful. John Talbott says that the general public is more focused while shopping than ever before. "Lasting value" is preferred in the ultimate gift, so people are taking advantage of deals. The stylish surveyed group agreed; the majority of them claimed to be getting creative with their shopping and gifts this season. People are using coupons and Groupons like crazy, visiting flash sale sites like Gilt, Hautelook, and Ideeli constantly, and watching their favorite stores and designers online like hawks, waiting for special deals and sales. Like Maria Catapano, another UW-Madison Style Guru, said, "Shopping here and there but with careful thought and planning is key." Maria also thinks that sentimental and thoughtful gifts always override more materialistic ones. Catapano says that, "instead of buying my sister a brand new designer wallet, I'm thinking of shopping around for a really unique, one-of-a-kind vintage piece that will be less expensive and way more special to her." Apparently, it is the thought that counts.

Another way the surveyed fashion mavens are getting creative with gift giving this year is through crafting. DIY'ers unite! People are getting a lot of ideas and inspiration from Pinterest, in particular. Headbands, photo collages, scarves, and cards were just some of the things people plan on making for friends and family this year. Another creative surveyor said she is putting together a movie-themed basket for her boyfriend that will contain DVDs, gourmet popcorn, candy, and soda. Is that not genius?! Caroline Wilson, another UW-Madison Style Guru and a fashion design student, is excited to give some of the projects she had made in her classes as gifts. She also thinks homemade jewelry and fun yet pretty treats like chocolate covered pretzels or potato chips would make for excellent presents for anyone. As much as Caroline Radaj would love to craft all of her gifts, she finds that she usually doesn't have the time during the hectic enough holiday season. Instead, she looks at blogs like Cupcakes and Cashmere in hopes that they create a post featuring gift ideas. Many bloggers do!

Although the holidays can be mentally, physically, and financially draining, there are definitely ways to keep things fun and affordable. After all, this is the season to be happy and to show your appreciate for others. Don't get caught up in the stress, and remember the meaning of the holidays. Amy Levin, founder of CollegeFashionista said, "I prefer giving then getting. I use the holidays as a time to thank people who have helped me throughout the year, and I have a ton of people to be thankful for!" Slipping yourself your own gift doesn't hurt either though; the majority of surveyed people said they plan on buying themselves a treat or two.

Happy Holidays!

Be sure to check out CollegeFashionista.com for style tips, tricks, and inspiration all year long!