protest

Capitol Protests will require permits

The state Department of Administration announced a new policy Thursday that requires demonstrators to apply for a permit before hosting a protest or rally in state buildings, including the Capitol.

Demonstrators may be held accountable for certain costs associated with rallies, such as damage repair, clean-up and increased police presence. The policy takes effect immediately.

According to the policy, demonstrators will be charged $50 per hour for every additional Capitol Police officer needed for the event beyond regular patrols.

“Our goal is to provide equal and continual access for all Wisconsinites to their state buildings in a way that is reasonable and safe,” DOA Secretary Mike Huebsch said in a statement. “This policy ensures our ability to appropriately staff events for the safety of those participating.”

Permits are also required if demonstrators wish to display banners or signs or use sound amplification equipment inside state buildings.

Applications for permits must be filed 72 hours prior to the event if more than 100 people are expected to attend.

The only scenario that the DOA does not require a permit is for spontaneous protests that result from unforeseen events.

The policy change comes in the wake of the protests over Gov. Scott Walker’s collective bargaining legislation at the Capitol earlier this year, which resulted in law enforcement costs of around $8 million.

Madison activist Harriet Rowan, who was highly involved in collective bargaining demonstrations last winter, called the new policy unjust.

“Everything that was done [last February] was done within our constitutional rights … our right to petition our government, our right to free speech, our right to assemble,” she said. “I think it’s illegal, disgusting, and I think they’re going to have all kinds of lawsuits on their hands.”

Rowan sees the permit requirement as an extension of the Assembly policies enacted earlier this year that prohibit the filming and carrying of signs during legislative sessions.

“The rules and regulations of the Capitol are already … unconstitutional, and this is just taking that a step further,” Rowan said.

“The whole thing is almost like a bad dream.”