debate

Members of Badger Catholic and the group Atheists, Humanists and Agnostics gathered in Varsity Hall Wednesday to discuss issues such as same-sex marriage, abortion and contraception.

Campus groups debate hot issues

The Wisconsin Union Directorate’s Society and Politics Committee hosted a debate Wednesday between members of the group Atheists, Humanists and Agnostics and Badger Catholic, centering on the issues of same-sex marriage, abortion, embryonic stem-cell research and contraception.

On the issue of same-sex marriage, AHA emphasized the social and economic challenges same-sex couples face because they cannot receive social security benefits or financial benefits from a deceased partner. “This is a clear problem of equal rights,” said Quinn Heck of AHA.

Badger Catholic’s Matt Bayer responded by emphasizing the connection between marriage and procreation. “Marriage is not only about love but also about how that love can give rise to new life,” Bayer said.

Regarding contraception, Badger Catholic representative Madeline Gibson pointed out the physical risks of hormonal contraception and emphasized the use of alternative methods for family planning. She also described the value of sex, saying contraception hinders sex as an expression of love.

“There is a deeper meaning to sex,” Gibson said.

AHA member Laura Burns expressed concerns about the potential risks of refraining from the use of contraception.

“I think we should be afraid that the number of children we’re having thrusts our children into poverty and endangers the resources available on our planet” Burns said.

The large crowd assembled in Varsity Hall was generally respectful throughout the debate, applauding in agreement and polite in opposition. Laughter was heard in response to Gibson’s comments on chastity but appeared more skeptical than malicious.

Members of the audience took advantage of the 30 minutes allotted for the questioning of each side after the debate.  Most of the questions were directed to members of Badger Catholic.

AHA faced criticism from the audience regarding its definition of “personhood.”

To audience member Ty Sander, it was clear that both debaters and listeners enjoyed the debate but entered the debate with their own beliefs and perspectives.

“If just one person changed their views on one of these issues, it was all worth it to me,” he said.

AHA President Chris Calvey agreed. “One of the most important things you can do in your higher education is learn about other perspectives,” he said.