madhatters

A capella group ‘MadHatters’ receives invitation to White House

The White House will welcome a group of UW-Madison’s own when the MadHatters, a men’s a capella group, performs at a holiday reception for guests of the president and first lady Wednesday, Dec. 7.

The White House first made contact with the MadHatters to request sample music as representatives from Wisconsin.

Later, the group was asked to fly to Washington D.C. and perform.

“After we got the confirmation on it, it was just thrilling.” MadHatters Music Director Miles Comiskey said. “I don’t know if there is some Badger in the White House that is looking out for us, that asked us to apply initially, but we are excited.”

The group consists of 15 singers and a vocal percussionist, all male. Their performances contain everything from oldies to current Top 40 hits.

A fixture on campus since their inception in 1997, the UW-Madison MadHatters perform anywhere from the Overture Center to international locations in their classic red jackets.

The event will mark the first occasion the group has performed at the White House and members of the MadHatters are excited for the opportunity, especially since the invitation came as a surprise.

“We were really honored that they knew who we were and would want to invite us over there,” junior Alex Yant said.

“We are so humbled and blessed that they would come to us and do all ofthe preparations for us to sing in the nation’s capital,” he added.