Senator plans to block ‘ObamaCare’ in Wis.

State Sen. Frank Lasee, R-De Pere, said Tuesday he would stop further passage of a bill that would make state law comply with the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.

The bill, AB 210, passed with 57 votes in the state Assembly in October. It would make the Affordable Care Act, which would require people over the age of 18 to apply for public or private health care, comply with state law.

But Lasee, chair of the Senate Committee on Insurance and Housing, said he would let the bill die in committee.

"If Wisconsin opens the door to ObamaCare, there will be no closing it," Lasee said in a statement. "A line must be drawn in order to protect Wisconsin's residents and industry against federal intrusion. I am drawing it."

According to Lasee, the bill would not allow state citizens to make their own health-care choices.

"I am convinced that this bill poses a serious threat to Wisconsin's sovereignty under the 10th Amendment and to the healthcare freedoms of our citizens," Sen. Lasee said in a statement.

Lasee cited analysis from three conservative think tanks for his interpretation of the bill.

"AB 210 would also make the state complicit in sabotaging much of Wisconsin's insurance industry," he continued. "I cannot in good conscience advance this bill another inch."

But state Rep. Brett Hulsey, D-Madison, criticized Lasee's decision to not discuss the bill further.

"As Gov. Walker and the GOP are slashing $500 million from health care for struggling families and disabled citizens, it is sad that Sen. Lasee wants to cut off Wisconsin from increasing health care for more of our families," Hulsey said in an e-mail.

-Alex DiTullio