Man asks police for ride, gets busted with Hydrocodone, open beer container

Police arrested a Milwaukee man for possession of an open beer and a container of Hydrocodone pills on Regent Street late Thursday night.

The man, 31, first made contact with police at a West Washington Avenue convenience store earlier Thursday night when he tried to convince a patrolling officer it was the officer’s “duty” to give him a ride to a friend’s house on Verona Road.

“The officer told him that actually was not part of his tour of duty, and he explained to the man how one can utilize a city bus to get to a destination,” Madison Police Department Spokesperson Joel DeSpain said in a statement.

Police recognized the same man a few minutes later standing on the traffic island at the intersection of Regent Street and West Washington Avenue.

According to the report, there was an open pint-sized container of beer in addition to several articles of clothing, which had been in the man’s backpack, strung out on the island.

Police also found Hydrocodone pills, not prescribed to the man, in the man’s pocket.

“He did get a ride in a squad car, although not to his destination of choice,” DeSpain said.