UW-Madison recently began to review safety procedures on campus in response to the findings of an investigation into the death of a university electrician last July.
Brad Krause, an UW electrician, was electrocuted while working on repairs to the attic of Mills Concert Hall in the Humanities building.
The Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services investigated and released a report on the incident Oct. 26, which revealed three safety code violations believed to have contributed to the accident.
The investigation found the university did not complete workplace hazard assessments and failed to train employees based on those assessments.
Additionally, Krause had not received university training on how to deal with unexpected startup or energizing of equipment since 2007.
The investigation also found Krause was not wearing the electrically insulated gloves he was issued at the time of the accident.
Following the report, university officials said they will address these problems to prevent future accidents.
"We're committed to do whatever is needed to avoid a recurrence of a situation like this," John Harrod, director of the university's Physical Plant Department, said in a statement.
"These measures are needed to make sure that everyone has the safest possible work environment and values a culture of safety," he said.
University officials said they will conduct safety training sessions more frequently to refresh employees on how to properly use personal protective gear.
They also pledged to train electrical shop employees in how to administer CPR and first aid assistance.