City passes Operating Budget, allots extra funding for Overture, arts study

After hours of deliberation, Madison’s Common Council passed the 2012 city Operating Budget Wednesday, which included funding for the Overture Center as well as for a performing arts study that will aim to enhance the city’s arts initiatives. 

The council tacked an extra $500,000 onto the Overture’s budget, resulting in $1.85 million, and allotted $125,000 toward the conduction of the performing arts study.

The Operating Budget originally proposed by former Mayor Dave Cieslewicz had allotted $2 million to the Overture, which was then reduced to $1.3 million by Mayor Paul Soglin in September.  

Because ownership of the Overture will transition into the hands of the private, non-profit 201 State Foundation beginning Jan. 1, the Overture requested the city partially support them while they fundraise the rest.  

According to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, the Overture Center Foundation has raised almost $1 million in the last year. 

While fundraising has been successful in the last year, without funding from the city, Verveer said it is unlikely the Overture can raise anymore money than it already has.

“If we don’t have this city support [the Overture Center] in this maiden year of our new structure, I don’t know how we would make up that shortfall,” Verveer said.  “We cannot abandon the Overture Center in their first year of their new operating model.”

Those who opposed the legislation raised concerns about whether this money should be allocated for other needs in the community.    

“If you asked me what I would do with half a million dollars...I’d give it to community services, I’d give it to public health,” said Ald. Jill Johnson, District 16.  “There are bigger needs in our community.”

Brenda Konkel of Madison’s Tenant Resource Center questioned the priorities of the council, and said “It seems wrong to be spending that much money in one area.”

According to Mayor Paul Soglin, because of the dynamics of having multiple arts centers in Madison, a study is needed to examine the inventory of the existing performing arts facilities, the audiences and the local performing arts community.

“When a performing arts center is under consideration from the community, a comprehensive arts study is done,” Soglin said.  “That study was not done when the Overture Center was built.”

Soglin said the although the study “may give us answers that aren’t realistic for us ... At least it will give us answers.”