WISPIRG makes case for eligibility to SSFC

WISPIRG: After being denied eligibility last year, WISPIRG student leaders told SSFC why they feel they are now eligible for funding Monday.

After being denied funding for the 2011-'12 fiscal year, the Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group (WISPIRG) told student leaders Monday they are eligible to receive funding for the next fiscal year.

Last year, the Student Services Finance Committee denied WISPIRG eligibility because they ruled less than 75 percent of the group's beneficiaries were students, and thus ineligible to receive funding.

They appealed the ruling, arguing they fulfilled the requirements because WISPIRG gave students opportunities to work on campaigns they found interesting. Still, the group was never granted funding.

Although WISPIRG Chair Matthew Kozlowski said nothing about how WISPIRG's mission has changed since last year, he said he was prepared to show SSFC students are the principal beneficiaries of the group.

""We laid everything out and we hope next year we can continue the work we've done here on campus the last 25 years,"" said Kozlowski. ""We hope to keep giving students a voice in the political process.""

Kozlowski said WISPIRG meets all of the eligibility requirements, and thus should receive funding, adding the viability of the organization would be threatened if SSFC determines they are ineligible to receive funding.

""We can't be an effective organization [without funding],"" Kozlowski said. ""It's just something we need in order to function.""

Also at the meeting, SSFC approved eligibility for funding for Sex Out Loud by a vote of 10-0, with one abstention.

SSFC Chair Sarah Neibart said the group clearly demonstrated how they fulfilled all of the eligibility requirements.

""I think the reason why our decision was pretty clear-cut is because the presenter from Sex Out Loud was very clear in running through every one of the criteria, particularly addressing in how they had a specific and definable direct service,"" Neibart said.