Wisconsin set for playoff-like series with Gophers

WiscoSota: The Badgers face Minnesota this weekend in an early season battle between two of the premier women?s hockey programs.

It means something when Wisconsin and Minnesota meet, no matter the sport. And considering the schools represent two-thirds of the elite trio at the top of college women's hockey, it will mean something a bit extra when the Badgers and Gophers face off this weekend at the Kohl Center.

The teams are used to meeting with a lot on the line (when they last played one another it was for the WCHA Final Face-Off title, which the Badgers won). So even when they come together early in the season, as they will Friday and Sunday, the games tend to take on a more intense atmosphere—the kind often likened to postseason play.

According to Badger head coach Mark Johnson, who talked about the match-up at his weekly press conference Monday, the pace in Wisconsin's most recent series will help prepare the team for Minnesota.

The Badgers faced their toughest test of the year last weekend, in a pair of wins over North Dakota. After cruising away from the Sioux late after a slow start in the series opener, Wisconsin trailed until the final minute of Sunday's finale before pulling out an overtime win.

""It was almost like playoff hockey in October,"" Johnson said. ""As far as getting up to speed and preparing ourselves for Minnesota, the two games we just went through with North Dakota are certainly going to help us prepare.""

According to Johnson, the team will need to come into the weekend series with Minnesota ready for a fight, as the Gophers return a number of important weapons. Sophomore Minnesota forward Amanda Kessel looks set to build on an impressive freshman year and has already scored seven goals, while junior Finnish netminder Noora Raty's goals against average (albeit against lackluster competition) is a mere 0.27.

With their help, Minnesota,—like Wisconsin—is 4-0-0 in the season so far.

""They really don't have a weakness,"" Johnson said. ""They've got three balanced lines, obviously their front line has scored quite a bit early on, they've got big defensemen and they certainly have a world-class goalie back there.

""It will be a good series.""

As the Badgers look to defend their home ice—likely mindful that it was Minnesota that handed them their first loss of last season—Johnson said the team will look for production to come from more than just its biggest names.

Senior forward Carolyne Prevost, who had a hat trick in Friday's game against North Dakota, does not attract the same attention as an Olympian like senior forward Hilary Knight or a younger star like sophomore Alex Rigsby, but Johnson said she could play a big role this season. The key for Prevost, Johnson said, will be consistency.

""If in the first period she gets a great scoring opportunity and ends up playing a great game because she feels good, she has to come back the next day and play at the same level,"" he said.

""We're trying to get her to play the best game she's capable of playing every night.""