Wisconsin rolling as it prepares for Hoosiers

Abbrederis: Wisconsin embarrassed the Hoosiers 83-20 last season. That loss will surely motivate Indiana in this Saturday?s rematch.

Last season was a banner year for the Wisconsin football team, but perhaps no game was discussed as much as UW's 83-20 drubbing of Indiana. The Badgers face the Hoosiers this weekend at Camp Randall Stadium, but the players and coaches know that they can't take anything for granted.

""To me, a true sign as a head coach, if your team is improving each week it makes a big statement to me and [Indiana] is definitely doing that,"" UW head coach Bret Bielema said.

Last year's loss looms large in the minds of the Indiana players, and they are using that as motivation for this weekend's contest.

""The score from a year ago is put up in more than one place in their locker room,"" Bielema said. ""It's a point of emphasis.""

Wisconsin players haven't forgotten that game either, but their focus is on this coming Saturday, not a season ago.

""It's a new year; it's a new opportunity for us and them,"" senior quarterback Russell Wilson said. ""We have to come out prepared and have a great game.""

Wilson gained plenty of national attention after his 255-yard, three-touchdown performance against then-No. 8 Nebraska Oct. 1. While he has become a serious contender in the Heisman race—along other standouts such as Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck and Boise State quarterback Kellen Moore—Wilson understands that his focus still needs to be on the field.

""It's a blessing to be in that type of company with some other players that are being mentioned for the Heisman Trophy,"" Wilson said. ""I always try to be the best I can be, and right now I'm trying to be the best quarterback in college football.""

While Wilson keeps his focus on the field, his Heisman campaign has taken on a life of its own with Russell mania sweeping the web. @RussellManiaXVI, a Twitter account that follows the Badger quarterback's Heisman hopes, has gained thousands of followers since the account was registered Sept. 24.

The added publicity is certainly gaining Wilson, and the entire team, more national attention, but Bielema isn't letting his players forget that hype alone isn't going to win anybody an award.

""The world has changed a lot over the last 10 years, and all the major awards are won on the field,"" Bielema said. ""Its about what you do on the field.""

After receiving heaping doses of praise from national media throughout the last week, there is concern that players will let it get to their heads and begin to coast in future games, especially against lower opponents like Indiana. Wilson says that he will not let that happen.

""The work ethic is there; coach Bielema isn't going to allow us coast, and the captains aren't going to allow us to coast,"" Wilson said.

One of the main reasons that the Badgers' offense has become so effective this season is its utilization of play-action passes, most evident on Wilson's electrifying 36-yard touchdown toss to sophomore wide receiver Jared Abbrederis against Nebraska.

""It all starts with the offensive line,"" Wilson said. ""It's something we work on on a daily basis—play-action fakes and really selling the fake and making it look just like the run.""

Wisconsin's effective use of the play-action game is one of the key reasons why the Badgers are converting an incredible 62 percent of their third down attempts this season, placing them among the best in all of college football.

While Wisconsin is historically very efficient on third down conversions, this year the team is off the charts, and Bielema sees where the change is coming from.

""The biggest difference is the decisions Russell can make when the play breaks down,"" Bielema said. ""The ability of Russell to make something from nothing.""