Ward's term extended, will serve another year

UW interim Chancellor David Ward.

UW-Madison Interim Chancellor David Ward will remain leader of the university for one more year, putting off the search for his replacement until 2012, UW System leaders announced Tuesday.

Ward agreed to step in as Chancellor in June after former Chancellor Biddy Martin announced she was leaving the university. His term was scheduled to last until the summer of 2012, when a new chancellor would step in.

UW System President Kevin Reilly said faculty, staff and students have spoken in favor of extending Ward's chancellorship.

""This is a great testament to Chancellor Ward's leadership capabilities,"" Reilly said in a UW System press release. ""He's clearly made a very positive impression in a short amount of time.""

In mid-September, UW-Madison faculty leaders asked Reilly to extend Ward's chancellorship.

Brad Barham, chair of the committee that made the initial request, said the university is in the midst of changes resulting from flexibilities granted to the UW System by the state. Barham felt it made sense to have consistent leadership during the changes.

""We're at a time of historic changes, we're considering a wide range of reforms and improvements at the university and we need continuity of leadership and trust to make the changes work,"" he said.

After learning about the request, Ward said he would consider staying another year if governing bodies within the university and the system felt it was in UW-Madison's best interest.

""I think the arguments being made make sense to me, but I am a patient person and think decisions like this need time to mature,"" Ward said in September.

Shortly after faculty submitted the initial request, several UW-Madison governing bodies, including the Associated Students of Madison, Academic Staff Committee and Non-Represented Classified Staff, endorsed it.

""I think it's a pretty good opportunity for the chancellor's office to put efforts forward to strengthen communications between the chancellor and students,"" ASM Chair Allie Gardner said after learning of Ward's term extension.

UW System spokesperson David Giroux said Reilly's decision to extend Ward's term was motivated by multiple groups' endorsements, adding he did not hear any opposition to extending Ward's term.

According to a UW System statement, the search for a new chancellor will resume next fall and be completed by the spring of 2013. Barham said by putting off the search, Ward will be able to fulfill his duties without being overshadowed by discussion of the chancellor search.

""I think that would have really slowed a lot of important conversations down at a time when we need to really roll up our sleeves and get to work, not wait another year,"" Barham said.