UW School of Pharmacy raises money at benefit to honor Nickel

: Pharmacy school students and faculty dance a benefit Friday night in honor of deceased third-year student Adam Nickel.

UW-Madison pharmacy students and faculty held a benefit Friday in honor of student Adam Nickel, who died unexpectedly in March after finishing a marathon in Arkansas. 

The event raised money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training program, in which Nickel, a third-year pharmacy student, was involved with. 

Friends and student organizers named the event R.A.N, an acronym for Remember Adam Nickel."" Anne Walterman, a third-year UW-Madison pharmacy student, said many students and faculty members helped with the organization. 

""We had a lot of people help out with the process, it was not directly led by one or two people,"" Walterman said. ""I got the idea from a classmate of mine '¦ We originally had planned to do a charity dance, but after Adam's death we decided to raise money in his honor.""  

Organizers set up a memorial slideshow, and directors from Nickel's team handed out training information. 

Walterman said many of the members from the pharmacy student organization Christian Pharmacists Fellowship International helped lead a successful evening. 

""Overall I think it went really well; we had about 250 purchase [event] tickets and we raised a little over $3,000