SSFC debates oversight committee, hears CFACT eligibility

Student leaders debated legislation to put an additional check on a student government committee Monday.

The legislation would require the Student Service Finance Committee to submit ""pertinent legislation"", forms and applications to a committee for review before using them.

SSFC Rep. David Vines spoke in favor of the legislation, saying it would ensure the committee did not gain too much power.

Vines said the new committee would help ensure ""things run as smoothly as possible.""

SSFC Chair Sarah Neibart was opposed to the legislation, saying the Student Judiciary already checks the power of SSFC.

""This would only add bureaucracy to this process,"" Neibart said.  ""The SSFC is an apolitical body.  There's no need for this.""

Some SSFC representatives said the legislation should have been brought before SSFC before it was introduced in an Associated Students of Madison student council meeting last week.

Vines said he brought the legislation before ASM because members of other committees need input and SSFC should not get a ""final unchecked verdict on something that affects other student bodies.""

SSFC Rep. Tia Nowack agreed.

""The issue originated here,"" said Rep. Tia Nowack.  ""I don't think it should end here.""

SSFC did not reach a decision on the legislation. They will continue the discussion within two weeks.

Also at the meeting, the Collegians for a Constructive Tomorrow (CFACT) told SSFC they were eligible to receive funding.  

Last year, CFACT was denied eligibility after they failed to return equipment on time, violating eligibility requirements.

Joshua Smith, the group's president, attributed the error to a ""vast amount of confusion.""  

SSFC Rep. Cale Plamann said CFACT needs to produce additional documentation to vindicate the group's past violation and prove the infraction was unintentional.

""In the absence of it, I feel we're stuck with the evidence we have,"" Plamann said.

Neibart said without documentation, the group is unlikely to receive eligibility. SSFC will decide if the group is eligible to receive funding Thursday.