Spartans look to continue dominance

fdghthsht: Michigan State?s top-ranked defense looks to stymie Denard Robinson and the electric Wolverines offense.

Spartans look to continue dominance

With the first BCS standings coming out on Sunday, this week's slate of college football games are of extra importance.

Michigan vs. Michigan State

The Michigan Wolverines will make the trip to East Lansing this weekend for a crucial matchup with its in-state rival and ""little brother,"" Michigan State. Michigan State is looking to win its fourth consecutive game in this rivalry since 1959-62.

Although both teams have been ranked in the top 25 of each of the last three matchups, this game is a little more important, as the winner will take sole possession of first place in the Legends Division of the Big Ten.

Michigan (2-0 Big Ten, 6-0 overall) struggled early but poured it on late to win against Northwestern last weekend, 42-24 and Michigan State (1-0 Big Ten, 4-1 overall) comes into this matchup off of a bye week.

Michigan is 6-0 for the first time since 2006, a season in which the Wolverines won their first 11 games. The Wolverines owe much of this year's success to the play of their junior quarterback Denard Robinson, who passed for 337 yards and three touchdowns, while adding 117 rushing yards and two scores in last week's win. Robinson currently ranks ninth in the FBS in rushing and has led the Wolverine offense to be ranked second in the Big Ten in yards per game.

The Spartans defense, however, is more than up to the challenge. Michigan State has the top-ranked defense in the nation, giving up only 173 total yards per game and a measly 64 yards on the ground. This stellar defense was apparent in the Spartans last victory over Ohio State. The Spartans held the Buckeyes to 178 total yards and sacked Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller nine times.

Baylor vs. Texas A&M

The Baylor Bears travel to Kyle Field on Saturday to take on in-state rival Texas A&M for what might be the last time in a while, as Texas A&M will move to the SEC next year. Texas A&M has won 18 of the last 20 matchups between these two squads, but in order to get number 19, they will have to improve their FBS-worst pass defense.

Baylor (1-1 Big 12, 4-1 overall) is coming off a big win against Iowa State, 49-26, while Texas A&M (1-1 Big 12, 3-2 overall) comes into this week's game having just squeaked out a win against Texas Tech, 45-40.

The Bears are led by junior quarterback Robert Griffin III, who has passed for over 1500 yards, 19 touchdowns and only one interception this season, which is good enough for the nation's second best quarterback rating. It is this great quarterback play that has led the Baylor offense to score over 47 points a game (fourth in the nation) and score 49 points and amass over 600 yards in last week's win.

Texas A&M is no slouch on offense either. The Aggies' offense is well-balanced between the pass and the run, led by senior quarterback Ryan Tannehill and senior running back Cyrus Gray. It is this balance that has allowed Texas A&M to average 39 points and over 493 total yards per game.  

Oklahoma State vs. Texas

The Oklahoma State Cowboys will head to Austin this weekend for a matchup with their Big 12 rival, the Texas Longhorns. The Cowboys have won just two times in 16 trips to Austin, but were able to snap a  12 game skid against the Longhorns when they beat Texas 33-16 at Texas Memorial Stadium last year.

Oklahoma State (2-0 Big 12, 5-0 overall) comes into this weekend's matchup riding high as they put up a whopping 70 points against Kansas last week. Texas (1-1 Big 12, 4-1 overall) comes in on the opposite end of the spectrum, after taking a Texas-sized shellacking at the hands of their ""Red River"" rival Oklahoma, 55-17.

The Cowboys feature the second-ranked pass game in the country (431 yards per game) led by 27-year-old senior quarterback Brandon Weeden and junior wide receiver Justin Blackmon. This tandem was vital in last week's win over the Jayhawks as Weeden threw five touchdowns and Blackmon caught two before being pulled in the second quarter. Weeden is fourth in the nation in total passing yards and Blackmon is in the top 10 in receptions despite playing only five games thus far.

To be able to compete with the Oklahoma offense, the Longhorns will once again have to rely on the quarterback duo of Case McCoy and David Ash. The Texas quarterbacks will have to improve on their ball security as they combined for four turnovers against Oklahoma last week.

Arizona State vs. Oregon

The Arizona State Sun Devils will head to Eugene to square off with Pac 12 conference foe Oregon on Saturday. The Sun Devils have lost the last six meetings between these two squads, all by double digits, but may get a break as the nation's leading rusher LaMichael James may not play due to an elbow injury.

Arizona State (3-0 Pac 12, 5-1 overall) boasts the only undefeated conference record in the Pac 12 South and is coming off a 35-14 victory over new conference member Utah. Oregon (2-0 Pac 12, 4-1 overall), a member of the Pac 12 North, comes into this week having just beaten conference foe California, 43-15.

To snap its losing streak against Oregon, Arizona State will have to put a lot of points on the scoreboard. This means that the Sun Devils' 6 foot 8 inch tall junior quarterback Brock Osweiler will have to have a breakout game. Osweiler has been a solid starting quarterback for the Sun Devils this year, completing 66 percent of his passes, but he has had problems with interceptions; throwing two against Illinois and three against Oregon State. Osweiler must play turnover-free football this week if Arizona State is to find success against Oregon and its high-power offense.

Oregon, despite the possibility of playing without their top rusher, has plenty of other skilled offensive players and should still be able to put up plenty of points. Dual-threat quarterback Darron Thomas and speedy junior running back Kenjon Barner should be able to pick up the slack for the nation's second-ranked offense if James is not able to go on Saturday night.