Leg Affairs

Next year's chair candidates from left to right: Carmen Gosey, Caroline Russell and Kate Jungers. 

Regents OK new building

The UW System Board of Regents approved building designs for a new $52.8 million UW-Madison School of Nursing facility Friday.

Construction is expected to begin April 21, 2012 and to be completed by September 2014. The building will be located on the corner of Highland Avenue and Observatory Drive.

According to the campaign's website, the project is necessary for the School of Nursing to address the increased demand for nurses as the overall population ages.

UW-Madison School of Nursing Dean Kathryn May said the building project will improve the future of the nursing program at UW-Madison.

""This building will create incredible space for our faculty to teach, our students to learn and for them to create the future of nursing in Wisconsin,"" May said on the campaign's website. ""This is designed for the future; that's the best part.""

According to the project's website, the 160,000-square-foot building could allow the School of Nursing to increase its enrollment by up to 30 percent.

About a third of the new building will go to classroom space. Other areas of the building will contain hospital and home-care simulation rooms and a two-story atrium.

Two of the five stories will be devoted to faculty and research space.

The total project is expected to cost $52.8 million, with $17.4 million coming from donations, $17.4 million coming from reallocating money originally to be spent on campus maintenance projects and $17.4 million coming from the state's 2013-'15 capital budget.

The campaign has raised over $14.6 million of the private funds needed for the building.