New bill promotes abstinence education

Mary Lazich

New bill promotes abstinence education

Wisconsin public school districts with sexual education programs may no longer be required to inform students of contraceptive information if a bill recommending abstinence-based education passes the state legislature in the coming months.

State Sen. Mary Lazich, R-New Berlin, authored the bill, which recommends school districts teach abstinence as ""the only reliable method for avoiding pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases."" It would also remove information about contraception from the curriculum and emphasize ""the positive connection between marriage and parenting.""

""The bill gives each community options, rather than mandates,"" Lazich said in a memo. ""This provides local school districts the power to choose a curriculum that is reflective of the surrounding community's values.""

Currently, Gov. Jim Doyle's Healthy Youth Act requires public schools with sex education programs to teach contraception as a part the curriculum. According to Lazich, the bill would give more control to school districts to interpret the 2009 act.

If passed, the bill would ban volunteer health services like Planned Parenthood from giving instruction on sexual education in public schools, something Lazich described as being ""an irresponsible practice that should be reversed.""

But some UW-Madison student leaders say the bill does not promote a comprehensive sexual education curriculum.

Young Progressives President Steve Hughes said the bill would ""abridge freedom in school"" and ""does not deserve to be given an audience on the floor of our state Senate.""

""Sen. Lazich's bill is an attack on scientifically proven reproductive educational requirements, which are supported by the vast majority of parents in Wisconsin,"" Hughes said in a statement.

But Lazich said the bill provides ""the most scientifically accurate overview of the entire process of human development"" and ""fosters a partnership between parents and the school district … that is in the best interest of the student's health and well-being.""

Promoting Awareness, Victim Empowerment (PAVE) Peer Facilitator Jayne Jones said in an e-mail the bill allows for less comprehensive sexual education, raising the probability of sexual assault.

""Sex myths need to be dispelled and consent thoroughly defined, but the abstinence-only education this bill promotes won't be sex-positive, nor will it teach students what they need to know about healthy sexuality,"" Jones said.

Currently, Lazich is circulating the bill to other legislators to find co-sponsors.