MLB commissioner to retire at UW

Once Allan H. ""Bud"" Selig retires from his position as Commissioner of Major  League Baseball in 2012, the UW-Madison alumnus will step up to the plate at his alma mater to write his memoirs.

Recently, Selig paid over $1 million so the university can soon have a history of sports professor.

While on campus, Selig, who owns the Milwaukee Brewers, will settle into an office in the Humanities Building where he will write about his time spent in the MLB.

""I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to it; to write my book and do what I want to do in Madison,"" Selig told the Wisconsin State Journal.

Selig will hold a position, not funded by UW-Madison, which gives him access to the campus libraries, the Doit system and will grant him a university e-mail address.

Having such access will be essential for Selig to complete his work, said Deparment of History Administrator Maggie Bradenburg.

""It's a courtesy and it allows [long-term guests] access to the things that they need to conduct their research,"" Bradenburg said.

Selig will donate all of his personal papers and documents to the Wisconsin Historical Society.

Selig told the Wisconsin State Journal one of the favorite parts of his life were the four years at UW-Madison, where he originally thought he would return as a history professor.

Although Selig will not return in a teaching position, he will leave a mark on the history department with his donation to the Selig Professorship, a foundation to create the new professor.

According to Bradenburg, the Professorship and Selig's presence on campus will benefit UW-Madison.

""Students who have an interest in [the history of sports] will be able to work with [Selig and] he will be having some grad students working with him as project assistants,"" she said.

Bradenburg also said Selig will likely give guest lectures, which have garnered interest when he visited in the past.