Hearing on CEO's findings scheduled

The State Assembly's Committee on Colleges and Universities will host a hearing early next week addressing a conservative think tank's findings that UW-Madison's undergraduate and law school admission policies discriminate against white and Asian students.

Controversy on campus began in September The Center for Equal Opportunity released two studies they said showed racial discrimination in the university's admission policy. Its reports said African-American and Latino students receive preferential treatment over white and Asian students.

The hearing will take place at the Capitol Oct. 17 at 2 p.m. and will examine UW-Madison's holistic admission process, which the university states, ""takes into account a range of factors, including grades, standardized test scores, recommendations, extracurricular activities, leadership and written statements.""

University officials also noted The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled it is legal to consider race and ethnicity as a factor in college admissions.

While the hearing will be conducted in open session, only invited speakers from CEO and UW-Madison, determined by Chair of ACCU Steve Nass, R-La Grange, will be allowed to speak.

In September, Nass publicly disagreed with UW-Madison's admission policies, mirroring CEO president Roger Clegg's opinion that universities should admit students based on academic merit alone.

""I fought against UW-Madison's touchy-feely admissions process when first enacted and still oppose the discriminatory selection process,"" said Nass in a statement. ""I support admitting students based on academic performance, the only factor that an individual has personal control to achieve.""

While Chancellor David Ward will not attend the hearing due to previously scheduled business, he will finalize a list of speakers that he and other top university administrators will submit to Nass's committee for approval.

""We haven't finalized the list yet, but my assumption would be that we would suggest people who are in support of our position [in favor of holistic admissions],"" said Vince Sweeney, the Vice Chancellor for University Relations. ""We have to trust the process and submit a list of quality individuals that will offer great insight and hope they will be selected.""