'Ham'ming up Shakespeare

Hamlet: Steve Coogan plays a desperate theater teacher in Hamlet 2,"" bringing sexy back to the Bard's tale of a vengeful son the only way he knows how: adding the son of God to the marquee. To see or not to see? Yes is the answer.

'Ham'ming up Shakespeare

Hamlet 2"" explores the life of failed-actor-turned-teacher Dana Marschz (Steve Coogan) and his quest to save his high school drama program by writing a sequel to the Shakespearean play. When every other elective is cut from their struggling school system, the troublesome kids are sent to Coogan's drama class, which is next on the chopping block. Coogan struggles to get through to the students and must single-handedly save his department.  

Despite his unsupportive wife (Catherine Keener), Coogan decides to write a sequel to ""Hamlet,"" arguing that the Danish prince could have gone back in time, picked up Jesus, asked for guidance and prevented the deaths of everyone else in the play. After discovering that his star (Joseph Julian Soria) actually possesses talent, Coogan attempts to make the show a reality. 

At first glance, it appears to be a clichéd ""let's put on a show"" inspirational teacher movie (Coogan even references ""Dead Poets Society"" and ""Mr. Holland's Opus"" in an early scene), but the audience quickly makes an important discovery: No one, besides Coogan and his two creepy brownnosers, wants the play to be made. Comedy ensues. 

In between the explicit banter and spastically offensive observations, Coogan generates a bizarre, yet amusing charm. He gets his most serious advice from a 10-year-old who belittles his plays - unedited and awkward scenes from blockbuster movies - in the school paper. Its charisma makes the punch lines soar, especially with such one-liners as Jesus exclaiming ""If Dad finds out about what I've been up to, he's gonna crucify me!"" 

The parallels between the film and its co-writers' past creations - ""South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut"" and ""Team America: World Police"" - are clearly visible. Yolanda (Natalie Amenula) - a quiet and innocent girl styled after ""South Park's"" Kenny - is constantly being pelted with flying objects and thrown against walls. In addition, the play's big musical number, ""Rock Me Sexy Jesus,"" and its lyrics (""Turn the other cheek is really showing class / But I really think it's sexy when he kicks Satan's ass"") is reminiscent of ""Team America's"" crude musical interludes. 

The faint of heart and easily offended might not appreciate ""Hamlet 2