Back in Black: Comedy at the Overture

Lewis Black hates a lot of people. He hates Scientologists. He hates Republicans (though he would rather be a Republican than a Scientologist) and Democrats alike—minus U.S. Senators Russ Feingold, Ted Kennedy, and Bernie Sanders, ""the guy from Vermont."" The biggest asshole he has ever met, though? That award goes to Donald Trump.

""[He's a] total jerk off!"" Black said. ""I've also met Dick Cheney but he's in a whole other realm.""

There's little wonder as to why the comedian has gained so much notoriety: ""Back In Black,"" his segment on ""The Daily Show,"" is the longest running in the 15-year history of the program. Last week, he released his ninth CD, The Prophet. Madison will get a piece of Black's mind Saturday, when his acclaimed national tour, In God We Rust, makes a stop at the Overture Center.

Black, famous for his political rants, will almost certainly tear the government a new one at this Saturday's show. When asked about his thoughts regarding the 2012 presidential field, the funny-man responded without hesitation.

""I think it's appalling. Every four years I think, could it get worse?"" Black said. ""[President Obama] couldn't have done worse if he tried. I don't know if he could have done worse than anybody else, but this is much worse than I expected. The Democrats given the opportunity to lead don't lead. They don't know how to lead! Clinton did it, but he's really a Republican, a moderate Republican.""

As for his take on Scott Walker, Black had some advice for the governor that was surprisingly expletive-free:

""Try to remember that it was unions who gave us the middle class. It's that simple.""

Another burning political issue for Black is marijuana legalization. For him, legalization would be the ultimate Baby Boomer legacy.

""We don't have a legacy … our legacy right now is that we destroyed education,"" Black said. ""We really couldn't put together a proper health-care system. We allowed corporations to run amok. Basically all we gotta do [is] pass the planet on to you and just make sure things aren't worse, and they've gotten worse. We've got to make sure we leave something behind.""

Given his overtly bitter persona, it's hard to believe that Black actually enjoys some things in life. Black loves both music (lately he's been rocking out to ""Flo' + the Machine"") and cinema. He's been a movie buff since childhood and was happy to name off his favorite flicks, old and new.

""‘Paths of Glory,' ‘Dr. Strangleove,' ‘Truffaut,' ‘The Inlaws,' but I really fucking enjoyed ‘Pineapple Express' and I just watched ‘Bridesmaids' last night. [Kirsten Wiig] is great.""

In addition to film, Black knows all about the stage world. Before becoming a comedian he worked as a playwright in Hell's Kitchen.

""You could make more money as a crack whore,"" he quipped.

Black has fond memories of recording his first live CD, The White Album, here in Madtown.

""Madison used to have a great comedy club [Laugh Lines] where I've played for a number of years. [The White Album] was recorded in that club,"" Black reminisced. ""The waitresses all wore plaid skirts and white shirts kinda like the Catholic school outfits.""

As a man who unabashedly loves alcohol, Black is definitely down with the way of Wisconsin.

""No one else had Ketel vodka [in America],"" he said. ""You guys had Ketel two years before anyone else. Wisconsin had Jäger before anyone else. Goldschläger before everybody else. You guys are crazy.""

Lewis Black is performing at The Overture Center on Saturday, Oct. 8 at 8 p.m. with tickets starting at $39.50.