Women's soccer keeps conference unbeaten streak alive

Walls: Cara Walls

The Wisconsin women's soccer team (2-0-1 Big Ten, 7-3-1 overall) remained undefeated in Big Ten by defeating Michigan State, 2-1, on Friday night in East Lansing and drew  0-0 in double overtime against Michigan Sunday in Ann Arbor.

In the first game of the weekend series, the Badgers snapped the Spartans eight game winning streak as freshmen forward Cara Walls had a pair of goals in the 23rd and 84th minutes to push her goal total for the year to four.

""On both of her goals she beat people to the ball,"" UW head coach Paula Wilkins said. ""She stretched out and did quite well to do that. It was what we've been talking about, being desperate in the box and putting her foot and body where other people don't want to.""

Michigan State senior forward, Laura Heyboer who entered the game as the nation's leader in goals and points, scored the lone goal for the Spartans at the 59:18 mark.

Despite the lone goal allowed, the UW defense held their own against one of the nation's best offenses.

""We didn't have an immediate reaction, but we started to wear them down as the game went on,"" Wilkins said. ""We had more possessions in the front half and more set pieces, which put Michigan State on their heels.

The second game of the weekend series played in its first overtime game since the second round of last year's NCAA tournament as it ended in a 0-0 tie against the Michigan Wolverines.

""I was pleased with our performance; I think it was even better than it was on Friday night,"" Wilkins said. ""For being on the second day, it's always challenging in the Big Ten physically, so I was happy. Even in the second half we were better.""

Despite not scoring a goal, the Badgers outshot the Wolverines 23-11 and owned a 7-3 edge in shots on goal. Senior Laurie Nosbusch led that charge with five shots on goal.

Senior goalkeeper Michele Dalton stopped three shots and recorded her fourth shutout of the year for the Badgers. Michigan's Haley Kopmeyer had seven saves for the Wolverines.

The Badgers return home to take on two more Big Ten opponents. They host Minnesota on Thursday at 7 p.m. before taking part in the annual PAC the MAC event on Sunday afternoon against Ohio State at 1 p.m. that airs on Big Ten Network.

UWBadgers.com contributed to this report.