Woman groped on State Street

A man wearing a cowboy outfit sexually assaulted a woman on State St. Sunday, Sept. 11, police reported Monday.

Police said the woman, 20, was walking in the 500 Block of State St. around midnight when the stranger grabbed her in the groin.

The woman then called police and gave them a description of the man who, according to reports, was in his late 50s and wore a ""cowboy outfit,"" including a cowboy hat.

Although police said they located and spoke with a person of interest, they did not have sufficient information to seek his arrest.

""If you think of this crime, it's kind of a hit and run kind of crime,"" explained MPD Lieutenant Mary Lou Ricksecker.

According to Ricksecker, sexual assaults of this nature are ""not an uncommon occurrence on State Street.""

Police could not confirm whether the victim was a student, but Ricksecker said based on reports, ""it appears she probably is.""

Ricksecker said the crime was not reported until almost a week later because police classify it as a ""fourth degree sexual assault,"" a relatively minor offense.