UW defense faces another challenge

Fenelus: Antonio Fenelus and the Wisconsin secondary will be charged with stopping NIU quarterback Chandler Harnish who has thrown for 510 yards in two games.

UW defense faces another challenge

Wisconsin's co-defensive coordinator Chris Ash can't recall the last time he was a part of a defense that shut out an opponent.

""It's been a while,"" Ash said, in his second year with UW since coming to the program from Minnesota.

As well as the defense played against Oregon State, it is hard to imagine the Badgers can keep Northern Illinois in check to such a severe degree.

The Huskies (0-0 Mid-America Conference, 1-1 overall) have scored at a prolific pace (45.5 points per game) in a 49-26 romp over Army and a tough 45-42 loss on the road against Kansas, a Big 12 opponent.

Senior NIU quarterback Chandler Harnish may have as much talent in the passing game as any signal caller Wisconsin will face this season. Through two games, he has already racked up 510 yards and seven touchdowns against just one interception. Against Kansas, he was a blistering 27-33 for 315 yards and two scores.

""If we allow him to do the things he's been doing these last couple games we're going to be in a world of trouble,"" UW senior free safety and team captain Aaron Henry said. ""He can definitely go out there and win them a ball game.""

Harnish earned All-MAC honors a year ago in leading the Huskies to an 11-2 record and has continued to produce under first-year head coach Dave Doeren.

The Huskies offense is likely going to test junior Badgers corner Marcus Cromartie early and often. Cromartie is making his first start, replacing senior Devin Smith, who is expected to miss the remainder of the season after suffering a foot injury Saturday against Oregon State. Henry, who referred to Cromartie as ""Cro-Island,"" because of his one-on-one abilities, said he is confident the unit will continue the solid play.

""For a lot of guys, once they get that first start under their belt, they can just go in there and play smooth and do what they have to do,"" he said.

Senior cornerback Antonio Fenelus has displayed tremendous coverage skills and an aggressive approach on the other side of the field, registering three pass break-ups so far this year.  

""I think people are going to stop throwing at him sooner or later,"" Henry said. ""We have two guys that can hold it down.""

NIU Game notes

Junior center Peter Konz said the coaches were not pleased with the effort in practice last week and he thought that contributed to a slow start for the running attack against Oregon State.

""The coaches got on us probably worse than ever since I've been here,"" Konz said of practice this week.

He also said that, despite his reputation as one of the funniest guys on the team, he has taken on more responsibility for the play of the offensive line.

""I have to yell at guys now, which I don't like to do,"" he said.

In addition to Smith's injury, the Badgers will be without the services of reserve defensive end Pat Muldoon Saturday. Muldoon dislocated his elbow against Oregon State and will be out for at least this week.

Junior guard Travis Frederick will return to the starting lineup this week after missing the Oregon State game with a knee injury. Sophomore Ryan Groy started in his place and will return to his utility role.

Freshman cornerback Peniel Jean is No. 3 on the depth chart this week because of the injury to Smith and freshman Darius Hillary rounds out the two-deep roster. Keep an eye out next week for another freshman, Devin Gaulden. Coaches have said he could return from a leg injury for Wisconsin's Sept. 24 game against South Dakota and it sounds like they expect him to see the field.