United States foreign policy must stress cooperation

Over the course of the last year, a number of events have transformed the geopolitical landscape. Taken alone, these events do not provide enough impetus for a serious review of American foreign policy.  Taken together, it becomes clear that the time has come for our politicians to think—and act—seriously about an ideological shift in the way we deal with other nations.

Perhaps no geopolitical event dealt a greater shock to the world than the revolutions of the Arab Spring. In March, four months after the revolutions began, an American-led NATO operation intervened in Libya, in what was viewed by many as a disproportionate response to Colonel Muammar Gaddafi's attempt to quell insurrection in the country. The fruits of that intervention are just beginning to show as the National Transition Council, a NATO-endorsed government, continues to gain power and legitimacy. The United States' late response, and their inconsistent attitude towards a similar uprising in Syria, shows a lack of strategic cooperation.  In addition, the nascent development of democratic governments in South Sudan, the Ivory Coast and Egypt signal a growing distaste for autocracy in the Middle East and North Africa.  American foreign policy must respect this trend and act accordingly.

Further complicating the relationship between the United States and the Arab world was the killing of Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad, Pakistan, which represented a major victory in the war on terror. American troops followed up with other victories in Afghanistan and Iraq, including the elimination of other senior-level Al-Qaeda and Taliban commanders. After the Abbottabad operation, however, relations between the United States and Pakistan, arguably America's most important ally in the war on terror, have never been worse.  The Pakistani government cited the Abbottabad operation and the violation of national sovereignty as the reason for increased tension.  The killing of bin Laden, while a victory, represented yet another case in which the United States' unilateral approach to foreign policy yielded unintended consequences.

Aside from military conflict, a lack of cooperation at the international level threaten to undermine the global economy. Governments have had to adopt austerity measures to prevent defaulting on massive state-held debt. The irresponsible partisan bickering over the debt ceiling held the global economy hostage and threatened to destroy the modest economics improvement gained since the financial crisis of 2008. These political fights in America and elsewhere are likely to grow worse as the world economy continues to lag.

Given these recent geopolitical events, the United States must undertake a serious review of its foreign policy. It is time for strategic change that creates a sustainable foreign policy and future. What is clear is  the future direction of international relations will not be one of world hegemony by one superpower. If the events of the last year, and indeed the last decade, are an indication, multilateralism will be the modus operandi in the future.

Through multilateralism and dialogue building, American policy makers have been able to responsibly react towards the economic and political events of 2011 in a sustainable manner that builds America's influence and credibility. In attempting to influence world affairs, America—traditionally a go-it-alone power—will find benefit in adopting multilateral approaches to its problems, because American problems are increasingly global problems.

While unilateralism will still have a place in American foreign policy, and policy makers should never give up the ability to act alone, it is a policy best reserved for emergencies. Instead, multilateralism and cooperation should be stressed in order for the United States to remain economically sound and politically flexible on the world stage.

Andrew Thompson is a senior majoring in political science and history.  Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com