Police mindful of state legislators' safety

In a memo to state legislators Wednesday, Madison Police Chief Noble Wray assured politicians that they are regular citizens in the eyes of the law—especially where their safety is concerned.

""All of us who work, live or play in the City of Madison have the right to feel safe as we travel throughout the city,"" Wray said. "" Public figures should not be subject to increased unlawful behaviors simply because of their station within the community.""

The letter included some ""general guidelines"" for lawmakers to keep in mind when in public, including tips on staying visible and keeping their hands free.

""Consider to where you could retreat or if there is an area in which you can secure yourself,"" the memo also said.

Police drafted the memo following an altercation between a protestor and several state lawmakers on Sept. 14, in which the protestor dumped his beer over one lawmaker's head.

The victim, identified as Rep. Robin Vos, R-Burlington, was at a bar with coworkers when he was verbally assaulted by a man screaming ""Damn Republicans,"" according to the police report.

The man, Miles Kristan, a Madison resident, emptied his beer over the head of Vos before fleeing the scene. He has since turned himself over to authorities.

Though the incident occurred in Madison, Kristan has received a state citation of disorderly conduct due to the ""escalated"" nature of his offensive behavior, according to Madison Police Department Spokesman Joel DeSpain.

""There are also times where people can cross the line,"" DeSpain said. ""Dumping a beer on someone's head crosses the line as far as we're concerned.""