New apt plans approved despite church opposition

Despite strong resistance from Luther Memorial Congregation, Madison's Urban Design Commission granted initial approval Wednesday to construct an apartment complex on the corner of Brooks Street and University Avenue.

According to the proposal, the new 80-unit complex, standing eight stories high, will be located at 1001 University Ave., across from Grainger Hall and adjacent to St. Frances House Episcopal Student Center and the Luther Memorial Congregation.

Luther Memorial's members and pastors resisted the proposal because many said the structure was too large, and students living there would cause too much congestion and noise.

Luther Memorial congregational president Al Larson said he fears the congestion will make it ""more of a hassle for people to come worship.""

""It's not going to be a rapid demise of the congregation; it will be a slow, painful death,"" said Larson. ""One by one, programs will die due to lack of funding and overall [the complex] will have a significant impact on the functionality of Luther Memorial.""

Luther Memorial arts committee member Gary Brown said the massive scale of the proposal ""overpowers the presence of Luther Memorial.""

""Prominence and awe is in the importance of how [Luther Memorial] was designed,"" Brown said.

Brown also worries the complex will cast shadows that affect the lighting through Lutheran Memorial's stained glass windows.

Conversely, those who spoke in association with St. Frances showed nothing but support for the proposal.

St. Andrew's Priestess Leigh Vicens said she approves of the proposal because it's an opportunity to ""sustain St. Frances as an important ministry"" because of the complex's proximity to St. Frances.

The proposal will be discussed by Madison's Plan Commission Committee in the near future.