Madison remembers victims of terror

Madison Police: The Madison Police Department held a ceremony memorializing the attacks? victims Sunday.

Madison remembers victims of terror

On the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks Madison memorialized the loss and celebrated the strength of a nation through ceremonies and a community concert.

Hundreds of people attended the commemorative ceremony at the state Capitol early Sunday to recognize the seven Wisconsinites who died in the attacks, and the 153 Wisconsin soldiers who have given their lives defending the country in the following years.

""We made a decision as a nation that we would not live in fear,"" said Wisconsin Army and Air National Guard commander Don Dunbar, who spoke at the ceremony.

The Madison Police Department remembered the  attacks' victims and first responders by hosting a special ceremony on the rooftop of the Monona Terrace Convention Center at 10 a.m.

The observance included a rifle salute by the police department's honor guard and an F-16 flyover by the Wisconsin Air National Guard's 115th Fighter Wing.

MPD Chief Noble Wray, Iraq War Veteran and retired Wisconsin National Guard Lt. Tim Donovan, and University of Wisconsin professor Dr. Patrick McBride, spoke at the event.

The Overture Center hosted a ""Madison Remembers"" free concert observance from 3 to 6 p.m., featuring a mixed community choruses and instrumental performance accompanied by selected readings, and featuring renditions of Johanne Brahm's ""In Paradisum, Ye Now are Sorrowful"" requiem, and ""America the Beautiful.""