If the Big Ten decides to expand, these are the school they should target

RyanEvans

In the past few weeks, conference movement and re-alignment has dominated the college football news cycle.

Through all of this talk of expansion/re-alignment chaos in the Big 12, Big East, Pac-12 and SEC, Big Ten conference commissioner Jim Delany has stood firm on his stance that the conference will not pursue further expansion and is content with the current 12-team league following last summer's addition of Nebraska.

But the question I have is with the winds of college football change gaining strength each day is it possible for the Big Ten to stay out of the path of the storm? You have to keep up with the Joneses.

So, let's say the Big Ten does dip its toes into the expansion waters. Who would be the best targets? These are the teams on whose door I would go knocking based on academic prestige (AAU membership) regional fit and success across multiple D-I sports:

Notre Dame

The Fighting Irish are the obvious first choice, right?

They are almost too perfect a fit. They are a renowned academic institution, helping the Big Ten maintain their academic standards, and Notre Dame is located right in the middle of Big Ten country. The Fighting Irish would bring added prestige to the conference as well as huge ratings to the ever-growing Big Ten Network.

Notre Dame plays games against a number of Big Ten schools each season and has a historic rivalry with Michigan, so why not go a step further and officially join the conference? Plus, should NCAA football become a collection of super conferences Notre Dame risks being left out in the cold should it remain independent.

Even with Delany's proclamation that the Big Ten will not pursue expansion, there are well-held beliefs that if Notre Dame declares it is ready to forfeit its independent status, the conference will jump at the opportunity to add the Irish and the Irish will feel forced to give in should super conferences become a reality.

Missouri

Missouri was a candidate to join the Big Ten during round one of expansion last summer, but as we all know the conference ended up going with Nebraska and capping the additions at that. However, that doesn't mean Mizzou shouldn't be discounted should Delany give in and further expand the Big Ten.

Missouri has a rivalry with Illinois that is waiting to burst onto the national scene as well as potential regional rivalries with Iowa and Nebrasksa.

The Big Ten is always looking to grow the BTN as well and push the conference brand to new parts of the country. Adding Missouri would bring in both the St. Louis and Kansas City markets.

Kansas

The Jayhawks have pledged their loyalty to the Big 12 in the past, but if the conference implodes (and it looks like it will) what's to say they won't entertain a Big Ten offer?

They fit in demographically with the conference and the addition of their basketball program would  take the Big Ten to the next level in terms of national prominence.

In terms of TV ratings, Kansas would cement the Kansas City market for the Big Ten

What schools do you think the Big Ten should pursue should it choose to add more members? Let Ryan know at rmevans2@dailycardinal.com.