Five things to watch

1. CAMP RANDALL CROWD

When the Big Ten released its conference schedule for the 2011 season just over a year ago, all anticipation was drawn to the first week of the conference season. Well, that week has finally come and is perhaps even more hyped than originally thought. Both teams are in the top eight of each conference poll and the loser will almost assuredly drop out of the national title picture.

ESPN's College Gameday will bring even more excitement to the table. Remember last year when Gameday was here? The Badgers took down then-No. 1 Ohio State in front of one of the liveliest crowds Camp Randall has ever seen. The fact that the contest is at night adds more fuel to the fire, considering  the Badgers are 27-3 in their last 30 games under the lights.

Nebraska, known for having one of the best traveling fan bases, is expected to send between 20,000 and 40,000 fans, Madison police are estimating. The Cornhuskers better be ready for one of the most amped up crowds and one of the wildest ""Jump Around""s in Camp Randall's storied history.

2. HUSKERS ON THE GROUND

Wisconsin's run defense will be tested against the pesky Cornhusker attack. Rex Burkhead, a junior running back for Nebraska, has flourished as of late. His classic running style has helped him rack up 290 yards and two touchdowns over the past two games, good for almost eight yards per carry.

The Badgers should be even more worried about Heisman candidate Taylor Martinez. The speedy signal caller, who checks in at 6-foot-1-inch and 200 pounds, has thrashed opposing defenses so far this year. Martinez ranks second among Big Ten rushers this year, while Burkhead checks in at third.

Wisconsin had seemingly no trouble harassing Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor last season on an almost identical stage. If Wisconsin's defense can hold up against the powerful rush attack, its chances of coming out victorious will improve greatly.

3. HEISMAN HOPEFULS

This matchup boasts two of the nation's most exciting quarterbacks in Russell Wilson and Martinez, and both have unsurprisingly been on the Heisman radar thus far this season. How much will a loss for the quarterback's team hurt their chance of winning one of the most historic awards in all of sports?

A big indication of a thriving athlete up for Heisman competition is coming up clutch in big games. This game is obviously one of the biggest games in all of college football this year, so it is safe to say that the losing quarterback will drop significantly in the Heisman race, if not out altogether.

With such great stakes on the line, the clash of the dual-threat quarterbacks showcased in this game will be one for the ages. Wilson, who boasts the second-best quarterback efficiency rating in the nation, can also show running capability very similar to Martinez. Both quarterbacks will need a strong performance Saturday night to remain in Heisman contention.

4. HUSKERS HEALTHY

So far this season, Nebraska's defense hasn't exactly lived up to its lofty expectations. The Cornhuskers haven't played the stiffest competition, either. In what was supposed to be one of the more elite defensive units in the country, the Cornhuskers are ranked 46th nationally in opponent's points per game and has given up 29 and 38 points to Fresno State and Washington, respectively.

Nebraska should get a boost from defensive tackle Jared Crick, who sat out last week in Nebraska's 38-14 win over Wyoming. The All-American candidate should be hungry, as will standouts linebacker Lavonte David and cornerback Alfonzo Dennard. Surprisingly, these three haven't been on the field simultaneously this season, so expect Nebraska's defense to be a bit sharper than what it was in the non-conference portion of their schedule.

The Badgers' tandem of tailbacks Montee Ball and James White will most likely have their toughest test of the season Saturday.

5. SATURDAY NIGHT SHOOTOUT

Wisconsin and Nebraska rank 6th and 13th, respectively, in terms of points scored. The Cornhuskers also rank 8th nationally in rushing yards per game and the Badgers 13th. Combine these two statistics with Nebraska's very mediocre defensive performances and Wisconsin's lack of playing against a quality offense, and all signs will point to a high-scoring contest under the lights on Saturday.

The only difference will be how the teams score. Nebraska will almost rely exclusively on its legs to put the ball in the end zone, while Wisconsin should provide a healthy mix of Wilson's very efficient pass game with the always-reliable rushing attack.

With Martinez completing barely 50 percent of his passes, Wisconsin should mainly concern itself with his running ability. Nebraska will also have to do this with Russell Wilson, though Wilson also has the ability to pass the ball effectively.