Demonstrators take over release of disputed studies

Press conference: Students rallied outside a press conference held by Center for Equal Opportunity president Roger Clegg, in which he formally announced the studies.

Students took over a Center for Equal Opportunity press conference Tuesday, protesting the conservative group's claim that UW-Madison's admissions process discriminates against Asian and white applicants by favoring black and Latino students.

About an hour into the closed-door press conference, protesters flooded the conference room, surrounding CEO president Roger Clegg and confronting him with questions regarding the center's findings.

The press conference's official purpose was for Clegg to answer queries regarding two studies released by the conservative think tank Monday.

The CEO studies contend UW-Madison's undergraduate and law school admissions processes discriminate against whites and Asians in favor of black and Latino applicants, whose test scores and class rank were demonstrably lower, according to the study.

Clegg said his organization is ""not anti-diversity, but … against discrimination"" like affirmative action, which Clegg called ""divisive, insulting, unfair.""

Clegg said all students bring diverse experiences from their personal backgrounds, including whites.

""We shouldn't ignore the fact that diamonds in the rough come from all colors,"" Clegg said.

Outside the Doubletree Hotel, where the CEO press conference took place, protesters spoke out against CEO's stance.

""We live in a society where it's not politically correct to call racist actions racist,"" C.J. Terrell said. ""It hurts me to see the race card played when it shouldn't be, but we have to call people out.""

The protest eventually moved into the hotel hallway.

When someone opened a door to the CEO conference room, protesters poured in, shouting ""People power"" and ""More than our scores.""

The chants grew louder until Clegg could no longer answer questions. As protesters surrounded him, hotel staff led Clegg out of the room.

Following Clegg's departure, protesters took the microphone to hold their own impromptu conference, led by C.J. Terrell, and his brother, Damon.

""I must remind you that we have to stay focused, stay vigilant and tell the people in charge of our university that we want affirmative action at our school,"" said sophomore David Vines. ""We want true equality for all.""

Eventually, hotel staff called police to make sure the protest situation would not escalate.

Although they did not let anyone new enter the room, authorities did not interfere with the students at the press conference. Protesters peacefully dispersed about half an hour later.