Board of Regents unhappy with budget process

While the Board of Regents appreciated flexibilities granted to them in the state budget, some members said Thursday they were disappointed members of the board did not have more of a say in the budget decision-making process.

With the pending budget, the UW system faces a $250 million reduction in state funding. 

Board of Regents representative David Walsh said members of the board should have been present when lawmakers decided to make such a substantial cut.

""To me the more important issue that we face today is the unfortunate fact that we weren't at the table when a $250 million cut was made,"" Walsh said.

In the imminent budget, the UW system would be granted flexibilities with relation to budgeting, tuition, financial management, human resources, capital planning, and procurement. 

Tuition increases would not be allowed to exceed 5.5%.

Also at the meeting, the regents declared they would combat a provision in the budget limiting the UW system's access to telecommunication resources.

The provision would force the UW system to return over $37 million in grants and cut ties with WiscNet, a statewide Internet provider.

Darrell Bazzell, the Vice Chancellor for Admissions at UW-Madison said the limitations would make UW-Madison the only research institution in the country restricted from access to some of the telecommunication networks.

""What we're seeing thus far is far from a pretty state,"" Bazzell said, ""In fact, it's impossible to overstate the potential implications the budget amendment would have on our billion-dollar research enterprise at UW-Madison.""

UW system President Kevin Reilly said he believes many of the legislators did not understand the implications the restrictions would have on the UW system, and by educating them the provision could be ""turned around.""

Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett spoke at the meeting, saying the board has lots of work to do in the near future.

""Its important that even though we're in difficult times right now that you persevere to make sure this system is a system that every person in the state can be proud of,"" Barrett said.

Friday, the board elected Michael Spector as its President and Brent Smith as its Vice President for the upcoming year.