Wisconsin splits twin-bill against Green Bay

The Wisconsin softball team had trouble taking care of pesky in-state rival UW-Green Bay, and had to settle for a doubleheader split Wednesday at Goodman Diamond. Wisconsin (6-10 Big Ten, 27-22 overall) won the second game of the twinbill 5-1 after dropping the first game by a score of 4-2.

Green Bay (21-22) likely viewed the series with Wisconsin as one of its biggest of the season, and the team came out of the gate in the first game full of energy. On the other hand, the Badgers initially looked nothing like the team that took No. 2 Michigan to the wire this past Sunday.

""They're a gritty team that fights,"" head coach Yvette Healy said. ""They've got some good Wisconsin kids. We knew that they would be a good team.""

In the first game of the doubleheader, Phoenix pitcher, senior Katie Cooney, pitched seven innings and gave up just one run on five hits.

Wisconsin did not trail in the game until a disastrous sixth inning. The Badgers had a 2-1 lead at the start of the frame, but Green Bay took advantage of suspect defense by the Badger infielders. Wisconsin only committed one official error in the inning, but a throw into a base runner and other questionable throwing decisions fueled the Green Bay rally.

The Phoenix loaded the bases thanks to two infield singles and the error. Green Bay tied the game at two on a grounder to freshman shortstop Stephanie Peace, who threw home but not in time for the force-out.

A Green Bay single gave the Phoenix their first lead, 3-2. Green Bay scored their fourth and final run on a slow grounder to Peace, whose only play was to tag the runner headed from second to third. When the inning was all said and done, the Phoenix plated three runs despite hitting no balls in the air and only one of their grounders leaving the infield.

""Green Bay did a nice job putting the ball in play. We didn't come through and make some of those tough plays. I didn't think they were easy,"" Healy said.

In the second game of the doubleheader, sophomore pitcher Meghan McIntosh allowed just one run in seven innings, earning win number nine.

""My changeup was really working and I had great defensive play behind me,"" McIntosh said.

Freshman outfielder Mary Massei was the offensive catalyst in the Badgers' victory, smacking two triples. Her teammates were able to drive her home in both innings, and Massei's fourth-inning triple scored sophomore outfielder Kendall Grimm.

""I'm not the fastest on the team, but I'm just going to keep hitting the ball like I have been,"" Massei said.

The Badgers will be back in action this weekend at Purdue in their final road trip of the season. Wisconsin only has four games left in this season and will look to finish an already successful first season under Healy on a good note.

""To be at 27 wins right now, it's really a phenomenal accomplishment for this group,"" Healy said.