Sen. Carpenter proposes workers' rights amendment

In an attempt to combat Gov. Scott Walker's budget repair law, state Sen. Tim Carpenter, D-Milwaukee, introduced a constitutional amendment Monday to permanently protect the rights of public employees to collectively bargain.

Carpenter said he wants collective bargaining rights to be protected by a constitutional amendment instead of a statute so these rights are not in flux every time a new administration is elected into office.

""Instead of putting it in statutes where people like Gov. Walker can gut it and take away workers' rights, I'd like to have to have a constitutional amendment so it's placed in our constitution like Florida, so you can't have the swings back and forth of taking away workers' rights,"" Carpenter said.

Since the governor does not have to sign off on a constitutional amendment, Carpenter said Walker's agenda will not effect the process.

""What's nice about this is Walker has no say in it, so we cut him out of the equation,"" Carpenter said.

State Sen. Dale Schultz, R-Richland Center, who was the only senate Republican to vote against the budget repair bill, said he will not announce his stance on the proposed amendment until after the collective bargaining law makes progress through the courts and he has a chance to speak with his constituents.

Carpenter admitted it would take a great deal of time and effort for his proposal to pass, since a constitutional amendment must be passed by two consecutive legislatures and then ratified by the voters.

Despite these barriers, Carpenter said he is confident the amendment will eventually pass, citing public support for collective bargaining rights and his success in passing other constitutional amendments.

""It may take a couple years, but you have to start somewhere,"" Carpenter said.

Carpenter circulated the bill in the legislature Monday and said he hopes to find co-sponsors by May 13.