Murray leaves Badgers, signs with Swiss team

Wisconsin men's hockey junior forward Jordy Murray has signed a professional contract with the Rapperswil-Jona Lakers of the Swiss National League A (NLA) and will forgo his final year of eligibility with the Badgers.

The move has long been speculated for Murray, who was second on the team with 18 goals last season. He considered making the same move last offseason as well. But what finally convinced him to leave Madison was a unique opportunity the Swiss league offered him that wouldn't be available if he waited any longer to sign.

Because Murray began his hockey career in Switzerland, where his father was a coach, Murray would not be considered a foreign import player—which Swiss teams can only have four of—and therefore was in line to sign a larger contract.

If he waited longer to sign he would no longer be considered a non-import player due to rule changes. So this offseason was now or never for Murray, and he jumped at the opportunity. His departure leaves a large hole for head coach Mike Eaves to fill next season.