In memoriam: The classmates we lost this year

Anna Shoemaker

UW-Madison junior Anna Shoemaker passed away Jan. 13, from injuries sustained when her friend's car swerved into oncoming traffic and hit a semi-truck, according to the Bayfield County Sheriff's Department.

Shoemaker, 20, was remembered by family and friends as an organized and athletic music lover who enjoyed spending time with friends.

She was pursuing a degree in environmental policy, with a goal of eventually applying to law school. She planned to study abroad in Venezuela during the spring semester.

Shoemaker was originally from Hudson, and chose to have her organs donated after her death, according to a CaringBridge website set up by her family.

Riley Whitehead

UW-Madison sophomore Riley Whitehead, 19, passed away unexpectedly March 22, in Madison.

According to an online remembrance page, friends and family remember him as being an ambitious and enthusiastic young man with a great sense of humor.

As a member of the Albany Show Choir and Monroe Theater Guild in high school, Whitehead enjoyed acting and theater.

Whitehead was pursuing a degree in political science and was a member of the UW-ROTC program.

Hiron Mayukh

UW-Madison student Hiron Mayukh died March 29.  

Friends and family described Mayukh, 24, on a remembrance website, as a compassionate and brilliant individual who brought joy to those around him.

Mayukh was a student in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.

Dylan Ellefson

Sun Prairie native and UW-Madison senior Dylan Ellefson was killed in a two-car crash Oct. 24.

Ellefson, 21, a Spanish major, is remembered by friends and family as charismatic and upbeat.

""We are deeply saddened by the loss of a member of our community,"" Dean of Students Lori Berquam said in a statement at the time.

According to friends, he was one of the most positive people they knew and had a contagious smile that could brighten a room.

Tommy Kuehn

UW-Madison alumnus Tommy Kuehn passed away Jan. 13 from bacterial meningitis, a rare but sometimes fatal disease.

Family and friends will remember Kuehn, a former UW Spirit Squad member, as a spirited, upstanding and bright young man.

Family members described Kuehn as a vibrant young man with promise who was loved by many.

Kuehn graduated from UW-Madison in 2010 with a degree in biology.  He was working as a research assistant in the Department of Neurosurgery at UW Hospitals and Clinics with aspirations to attend medical school.