City council postpones plans for downtown public market
Mayor Paul Soglin speaks to city adlers about delegating plans for a public market in order to speak with the projects planning staff.

Common Council unanimously decided Tuesday to postpone its discussion concerning the implementation of a public market after agreeing the project should be approached and conducted with more time to consider the decisions involved.

The plans call for a public market, which would provide citizens with year-round access to farmers market stalls, shops and restaurants, in addition to underground parking ramp, bicycle center and hotel to accompany the current spot of the Madison Municipal Building.

Mayor Paul Soglin said he would like to have more time to meet with the planning staff before Common Council moves further with such a big change for the future of the city.

""I want to assure we completely covered the issues necessary to examine the circumstances and that we are in fact making the right purchase in regards to what we are requesting through these contracts,"" Soglin said.

Soglin said the question should not be whether or not to implement a public market, but what the best uses are for the site. The city council must consider where the best location for a public market is, he said.

According to Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway, District 12, there is a lot of work going on in Madison and Dane County to build a local food system.

Rhodes-Conway said she could see a public market ""in fact becoming an integral part of promoting local food and the local economy,"" but worried about the strength of a possible connection between the public market and Madison's local food system.

Ald. Bridget Maniaci, District 2, voiced some hesitation about spending $250,000 on the public market after putting nearly that much toward a similar project in the East Washington district.

According to Ald. Larry Palm, District 15, reviewing discussions that took place without the newly elected members is appropriate, especially given the large size of the project.

""We are technically a new council with new members,"" Palm said. ""Ideas can shift due to new budget decisions.""

Common Council will discuss the market at its June 7 meeting.